A Homeowner’s Guide To Energy Efficiency
When it comes to modern living, ensuring your home benefits from a good energy efficiency rating should be a top priority. Doing so can save you the hassle of costly energy bills, protect your property from the onslaught of damp, mould and condensation, and of course, make sure your home is warm, dry and comfortable – whatever the season.
So what is energy efficiency, and why is it important?
What is energy efficiency?
In simple terms, energy efficiency is a deliberate decrease in energy consumption for the purpose of cutting utility bills and reducing one’s carbon footprint. In the context of the manufacturing industry, it is often used in reference to the thermal retention rating of uPVC or aluminium products, such as windows and doors.
Due to the inefficiencies of older-style materials and manufacturing, many homes use more energy than needed. Energy efficiency is one of the simplest methods to reduce energy costs and eliminate waste. It is also among the most economical methods to fight climate change and improve the quality of the air we breathe as well as improve the comfort of your internal living spaces.
The WER scale
The most well-known energy efficiency scheme here in the UK is the WER scale. Also known as The Window Energy Rating scale, the scheme is run by The British Fenestration Rating Council (BFRC), as a part of the Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF).
The WER scale measures the energy efficiency rating of windows available on the UK market by grading each product on a scale from A to G is the most energy efficient while G is the least energy efficient. All windows tested using the WER scale are given a certificate which shows the grade the window has received. At Majestic Designs, our range of uPVC and aluminium windows boast an A+14 energy efficiency – one of the highest ratings a product can receive on the WER scale.
When purchasing new windows, it’s important to look for the WER’s rainbow sticker. Choosing to purchase windows with a high energy efficiency rating from a reputable supplier will ensure your home is kept sealed from the elements. It will also save you the hassle of costly utility bills later down the line. However, ensuring your home is energy efficient is important for several reasons that go beyond simply saving money on your utility bills.
Why is energy efficiency important?
First and foremost, an energy-efficient property helps to reduce your impact on the planet. This is because installing energy-efficient features, such as modern uPVC windows, can lower your energy consumption which reduces the amount of resources needed to power and heat your home.
Taking steps towards a more energy-efficient home can also make a huge difference to the comfort of your internal living spaces. This is especially relevant here in the UK, where stormy weather can wreak havoc on poorly insulated homes. Upgrading your home with energy-efficient uPVC windows and doors for example will seal your property from the impact of any adverse weather, preventing damp from entering your home which can impact the health of you and your family as well as threaten the structural integrity of your property.
Majestic Designs’ Guide to Energy Efficiency
For more information about energy efficiency, have a read through our how-to guide.
- How Do I Fix Misted Up Double Glazing? – If you’ve noticed condensation and mist in between your glass panes, then this could mean a window seal has failed.
- How Do Energy-Efficient Windows Work? – If you’re wondering how to make your home more energy efficient and save when it comes to your utility bills, your windows should be one of the first places you look.
- How Do I Know If My Windows Are Energy Efficient? – What is energy efficiency? And how can you tell if your windows are energy efficient?
- How Important Are Energy Efficiency Ratings For Windows? – Understanding the WER scale can help you make an informed decision when choosing your new windows, which can save you the hassle of costly utility bills in future as well as ensure you and your family benefit from a warmer, more comfortable home.
- Home Improvements To Bring Down Your Energy Bills This Winter – Energy bills are set to remain almost double what they were this time last year. So what can you do to bring down your utility bills?
- How To Improve The Energy Efficiency Of Your Home – When it comes to improving the energy efficiency of your home, making even the most simple changes can make a world of difference to both your utility bills and of course, your carbon footprint.
- What Are The Most Energy-Efficient Windows? – For homeowners and landlords alike, replacing older-style windows with energy-efficient uPVC or aluminium can improve thermal retention, as well as prevent the onslaught of damp, condensation and even mould.
Insulating your home with Majestic Designs
For more than 21 years, Majestic Designs engineered our range of energy-efficient uPVC and aluminium products for homes across the South West region. Our range of energy-efficient products are engineered in our state-of-the-art factories right here in the heart of Somerset, and fitted by our professional, fully-employed teams of FENSA-accredited and MTC-registered lead installers.
At Majestic Designs, we engineer our windows and doors with energy efficiency in mind. Our range of uPVC and aluminium windows boast an A+14 Window Energy Rating across our range. As a FENSA-registered company, we also offer all our customers BFRC certification with every installation, which details the recorded thermal performance of our windows.
If you would like any more information about how to take steps towards improving the energy efficiency of your home or are ready to book an at-home consultation, get in touch with the team at Majestic Designs today.