Choosing The Best Entrance Door Style for Your Home
Your entrance door style is the first thing that a visitor will notice – in fact, it often leaves a lasting impression long after your guests have left. As a result, your entrance door is vital in showcasing your own personal taste, as well as enhancing security, improving energy efficiency ratings, reducing noise pollution and allowing an influx of natural light.
Choosing the best entrance door style for your home can be a challenging task. This is because it often requires consideration of several factors including your personal style, the architectural era of your home, the climate where you live and of course, your budget.
Why should I replace my front door?
Many modern homeowners tend to neglect their front doors. While it makes sense to replace your front door when it is broken, a damaged entranceway is not the only reason you should replace it.
There are several reasons why you might consider replacing your front door…
- Energy efficiency – If your current front door is old or poorly insulated, it could be allowing heat to escape from your home, resulting in higher energy bills. A new, energy-efficient door can help reduce your utility bills.
- Security – If your front door is old or damaged, it may not be providing adequate security for your home. A new door with modern multi-point locking mechanisms and hardware can help keep your home secure and your family safe.
- Kerb appeal – Your front door is one of the first things people see when they visit your home. A new door can give your home a fresh, updated look and increase its kerb appeal. This can be hugely beneficial in the future when you decide to sell.
- Functionality – If your front door is difficult to open or close, it may be time for a replacement. A new door can provide smoother operation and easier access to your home.
Choosing an entrance door style for your home
When choosing a new entranceway door, most homeowners tend to overlook the weather conditions and overall climate in their community. It’s important to choose a door that is resilient and durable in the face of any adverse weather – especially here in the UK where damp weather can run wild through poorly insulated homes.
As a result, the material you opt for when choosing your new entranceway door is incredibly important. You’re going to need a material that is highly secure and strong, as well as visually stylish. For many homes, the answer lies in uPVC and composite doors.
As a result of significant improvements in production and manufacturing in recent years, both uPVC and composite doors are available in a variety of finishes with excellent security and energy efficiency. Deciding between the two will ultimately come down to your personal tastes, your budget and of course, the aesthetics of your home.
uPVC stands for unplasticised polyvinyl chloride, which is a type of plastic commonly used in the construction industry. uPVC doors, which are engineered from the material, are known as and have become increasingly popular in recent years as a durable, low-maintenance and cost-effective option for residential properties. With a long span of more than two decades, doors engineered from uPVC are resistant to fading and environmentally friendly, as they can be recycled at the end of their life. The ease of installation has also made them an enduring and popular choice for homeowners looking for a hassle-free upgrade.
uPVC doors are also known for their insulative properties, which can help reduce heat loss from your home and save you the hassle of costly utility bills. They are also resistant to weathering, rotting and rusting, making them ideal for use in the UK where harsh weather conditions can wreak havoc on residential homes.
Combining the strength of a timber door with the weather resistance of uPVC, composite doors are available in a number of different colours and styles, offering remarkably authentic wooden finishes that require little to no maintenance. Made from a combination of materials, including timber, PVC, insulating foam and glass-reinforced plastic (GRP), composite doors boast the aesthetic appeal of a traditional wooden door, but with increased strength, durability and energy efficiency.
Composite doors are also long-lasting and durable, meaning they will not warp, rot or peel over time and are resistant to weathering and damage from impacts or scratches. They’re available in a range of styles and finishes and can be made bespoke with various hardware options, glazing designs and colours to suit different tastes and architectural styles.
Are composite doors or uPVC doors better?
Aesthetically, both composite doors and uPVC doors come in a range of styles and finishes. However, composite doors offer a more traditional look and can be made to look like real timber. In contrast. uPVC doors tend to have a more modern appearance.
Other factors include…
- Energy efficiency – Composite doors do offer slightly better insulation as a result of a durable timber core and multi-layered construction. However, both materials still boast exceptional energy efficiency ratings and can keep your home warm in winter an d cool in summer.
- Security – Both composite doors and uPVC doors can be fitted with secure locks and hardware, but composite doors are generally considered to be more secure.
- Durability – In terms of durability, neither uPVC doors nor composite doors will warp, crack, or fade over time and both can withstand extreme weather conditions.
At the end of the day, both composite doors and uPVC doors have their own advantages, so the choice between the two ultimately depends on your own personal preferences and the needs of your home.
Choosing the perfect entrance door style at Majestic Designs
First impressions count, especially when it comes to the entrance of your home. Entranceway doors can not only impact the decisions of future buyers but also give visitors and pedestrians alike a lasting impression of your home. Entranceway doors also have a part to play in keeping your property secure as well as saving you the hassle of costly utility bills. As a result, choosing the right front door for your home is a decision that should be carefully considered and well-researched.
For more than 21 years, the team at Majestic Designs has engineered high-quality entrance doors right here in the heart of Somerset, in our state-of-the-art factories. Our uPVC and composite doors boast exceptional energy efficiency ratings, heightened security and of course, undeniable style with a number of different colours and designs available.
For more information about our range of entranceway doors, contact Majestic Designs today. We’d be delighted to assist you choose your new entrance door.